Monday, January 30, 2012

Friendship Union

    After our politics class this morning there was a scheduled meeting with the Friendship Union staff.  The Friendship Union is SUNY's partner in Viet Nam.  They have provided direction on how the community service aspect of the Brockport program can best help the people.  Our meeting this morning was another aspect of the Tet celebration.  We came together and the director handed out Lucky Money and shots of scotch were poured for everyone.  The director made some comments about good things in the coming year and asked for our comments on how we enjoyed Tet.  My comment had to do with the ancestors.  What I have realized is the ancestors must be included and honored and thanked for without the ancestors the people would not be.  Everything that exists is because of the ancestors, the ones who came before.  I notice My Hoa's smile as she interprets those words.  Being an elder myself, my take on things is different than that of the traditional student.  Since I have that going for me I am using it carefully.
     After all of the speaking at the meeting the toasting began.  It was ten o'clock in the morning and we were making toasts with shots of scotch!  After three of those I was thankful I did not have to drive anywhere.  As quickly as the meeting began it was over and we were free for the rest of the day. 
    This picture shows that even in Viet Nam it is possible to find cheddar cheese, crackers, and a nice bottle of Shiraz.  Comfort food where ever you go.
Soooo next vacation visit beautiful Viet Nam.
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment